We’re hiring an analyst!
It has been almost a year since the initial launch of Version One Ventures and the first 12 months have been very busy with about a dozen Seed and Series A investments. So it is time to get some help to manage the fund and I am excited to announce that Version One is hiring an analyst.
The analyst position is a two- to three-year role where you will learn about what the venture capital business is all about and get the chance to work with some interesting startups. The primary responsibility of the analyst is to help manage the day-to-day activities of the fund, including:
- Helping to identify new and interesting entrepreneurs and companies in the 3 focus areas of the fund (e-commerce, SaaS, marketplaces/platforms)
- Performing market research and due diligence for potential investments (interviewing customers/users, testing products and services, and/or financial modeling)
- Helping with reporting for our investors, including writing quarterly updates and preparing LP advisory board meetings
- Working with existing portfolio companies, including helping out with hiring, financial modeling, and research
- Executing projects of your own direction that help Version One and/or our portfolio companies
We’re looking for someone who demonstrates:
- Native understanding of the ecosystem of web and mobile products
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good product instincts – you get what a great web or mobile product is made of
- Strong interpersonal skills – you’ll often be talking to entrepreneurs and other investors
- Good Excel modeling skills
- Ideally, prior design or programming experience or work in an investment or internet-related position
As Version One is investing across North-America and has portfolio companies from New York to Seattle, Los Angeles to Toronto, you should also be excited about travelling and “airbnb’ing”.
If you’re interested in the position, please send me an email at bwertz [at] versiononeventures [dot] com. Your email should contain 2 things:
First, I am looking for links that represent you. Linkedin is good but I am generally more interested to understand how you think and what you do: your Twitter account, your blog, a website you built, a project you helped. Second, I would like to get your take on 3 questions: “Why do you want to work at Version One Ventures?”, “Which web and mobile products most inspire you and why?”, and “What is the biggest insight you recently had about start-ups?”. Please limit your answers to 2-3 sentences per question.
Applications are open until Friday, June 21. The position is available immediately and is based in Vancouver, B.C.
If you have questions, please leave them in the comments below. Looking forward to hearing from you!